This morning I determined it was a good time to check for a new release and build for chromium. Low and behold my handy ChromiumUpdater from an old TechCrunch post or a zipped dmg failed to function. I went back to the post via a LifeHacker mention but the script was gone. It was time I dig in a little and find out precisely what the application was doing to see where it was going wrong. After all, how hard could remaking a little copy and install script be?
After a quick search I found a couple of helpful posts. One by shad to give me the basis for my shell script. The next step was to convert the shell script into a one click desktop application. I called the shell script directly from AppleScript since the appify method was no longer supported.
do shell script "/path/to/yourscript.sh"
After walking through the script line by line, it turns out the snapshot location and directory structure was changed by the chromium project folks. Luckily they left a nice href in the curl (classy chromium folks) to the old location which my earlier script was deleting. Here's a function script and gist:
Once you have the script working you can convert it to a Mac OS X desktop application with appify (presumed now to be installed in your path):
cat ChromiumUpdater.sh | appify ChromiumUpdater