Victus Spiritus


Imagebrowser Rails app ported from 2.3.4 to 3.1beta

18 May 2011

The Intelligent Media Manager is once again live at! It still takes a little too long to pass and receive data from remote semantic APIs. One change I'd like to make is a local entity (people, place, thing) identifier in text streams.

I found some time last night and this morning to finish migrating an app Tyler and I worked on 2009, and that I spent time on refining in 2010. I moved the application from ruby 1.8.7 and rails 2.3.4 to MRI 1.9.2 and rails 3.1beta. I've discussed some of the changes to rails here in the past week.

Heroku makes it fairly straight forward to migrate stacks for deployment, but be careful not to migrate to the same stack. I did that and had to destroy the app and recreate it (not a big deal) as it was no longer receiving git pushes.

The final error I was having was in CSS. Simply put I didn't have valid style sheets and Sprockets was choking on it. In the past forgiving browsers would conceal the errors. Luckily a quick CSS validation call from TextMate pointed out the mistakes and it's been smooth sailing ever since.